What To Do When Water Damage and Flooding Occurs in Mansfield, Ohio
Broken pipes, leaky appliances and heavy rainstorms can teach an unexpected lesson on the destructive power of water. A little knowledge about what to do, combined with quick action, can help salvage your home and personal items. One unforeseeable release of water and suddenly your home and furnishings are in serious peril. A little knowledge about what to do, combined with quick action can help salvage your home and personal items.
In most cases, only a professional can repair water-damaged flooring and furnishings caused by a flood. Do not attempt to treat these items yourself- that may only contribute to the problem and cause further damage.
The IICRC recommends the following actions to minimize damage while waiting for help to arrive:
- Foremost, stop the water leak and attend to obvious safety hazards, like electrical shock and personal injury from slips and falls.
- Increase airflow with open windows, fans, and heating and air conditioning systems.
- Open doors, drawers, cupboards and closets to maintain optimal air circulation and promote drying.
- Move furnishings out of wet areas or protect furniture legs from absorption and damage with triple-folded aluminum foil.
- Hang up draperies and pin up upholstery skirts to prevent water rings; allow leather items to dry at room temperature.
- Wash wet clothes, sheets and linens immediately and hang cleanable fabrics up to dry.
- Do not store damp items in plastic bags where mold can grow.
- Contact a certified water restoration firm in Mansfield, Ohio to preserve your home and furnishings from the destructive effect of water. Trained technicians, using professional inspecting and drying equipment can identify hidden water pockets and dry both your structure and furnishings to acceptable industry standards.